- Apostles receive their living. They are paid enough to sustain them for their work. In most cases, it would be impossible for an apostle to fulfill both the duty as an apostle, traveling around and serving, and also hold down a job. The following verses apply only to apostles. They do not apply to elders and deacons in the local churches. They do not apply to fathers and mothers in the home.
- Matthew 10:9-10 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.
- Luke 10:7 And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.
- Proverbs 14:23 In all labour there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury.
- 1 Corinthians 9:1, 7, 9, 10, 14, 15 Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord?... Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?... For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.... Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel. But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done to me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.
- Regarding local elders: 1 Timothy 5:17-18 is the only verse in Scripture regarding what local elders ought to recieve as opposed to what apostles, traveling elders and deacons should recieve. It is included here because it shows the stark difference between the local elders and deacons as opposed to the apostles, the traveling elders and deacons. Traveling elders and deacons and their portion it explained in 1 Corinthians 9:1, 7, 9, 10, 14, 15 and in Luke 10:7 and Matthew 10:10. The difference is obvious. Also, fathers and mothers in the home receive no salary for their work, but they ought to have a double measure of honor.
- 1 Timothy 5:17-18 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.
- Ephesians 5:33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.
- Ephesians 6:1-3 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
Last updated: Aug, 2011
v.9-10 Apostles Recieve Their Living
Toons & Vids
Matthew 10:2-3 Twelve apostles are named
Matthew 10:9-10 Apostles receive their living.
Matthew 10:26 Fear Them Not For There Is Nothing Covered, That Shall Not Be [uncovered] ; And Hid, That Shall Not Be Known.
Answer to Critic
Appeal to Possibility
Argument to the Future
Love Between a Man and Woman
Righteousness & Holiness
Proof by Atheism
Scriptures About Marriage
The Reason for Rejecting Truth
Witness on the Internet
Flaky Human Reasoning
How Do You Know?
The Real Purpose of the Church
The Real Purpose of Life
From Glory to Glory
REAL Faith--What it IS & IS NOT
REAL Love--What it IS & IS NOT
How to be Led by God
How to Witness
Wisdom: Righteousness & Reality
Holiness & Mind/Soul
Redemption: Free From Sin
Stories Versus Revelation
Circular Reasoning-Who is Guilty?
How Can We Know Anything?
Mind Designed to Relate to God
Answers for the Confused
Fossil Record Says: "Creation"
Avoid These Pitfalls
Public School's Religion
Public School Failures
How can we know anything about anything?
That's the real question