Who sets an apostle?
- An apostle must be an apostle by more than just his own commendation and appointment.
- 2 Corinthians 10:18 "For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth."
- Scripture records the setting of a number of deacons to help the apostles:
- Acts 6:1-7 "And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration. Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples to them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables. Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word. And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch: Whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands on them. And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith."
- The apostles must be on guard against false apostles, but Peter, James, and John discerned the call on Paul and a door opened so that Paul could enter into his ministry with the sanction of the Holy Spirit and the blessing of the apostles. This Scripture also sets the order that new apostles must be recognized by those who were set earlier in order to be considered legitimate apostles.
- Galatians 2:8-9 "(For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go to the heathen, and they to the circumcision."
- Acts 9:26-30 "And when Saul was come to Jerusalem, he assayed to join himself to the disciples: but they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a disciple. But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared to them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus. And he was with them coming in and going out at Jerusalem. And he spake boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him. Which when the brethren knew, they brought him down to Caesarea, and sent him forth to Tarsus."
- Acts 11:19-26 "Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but to the Jews only. And some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch, spake to the Grecians, preaching the Lord Jesus. And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned to the Lord. Then tidings of these things came to the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch. Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave to the Lord. For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added to the Lord. Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch."
- Acts 13:1-2 "Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them."
- An apostle must be called and appointed by God to be an apostle:
- Luke 6:13 "And when it was day, he called to him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;"
- Acts 1:1-2 "The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments to the apostles whom he had chosen:"
- Romans 1:1-5 "Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated to the gospel of God, (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:"
- Ephesians 4:7-8 "But to every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts to men."
Last updated: Aug, 2011
Who Sets an Apostle?
Toons & Vids
The Duration of the Apostles--How Long Will Apostles Be In the Church?
What Does the Bible Say About False Apostles, False Prophets, False Teachers, and False Pastors?
Apostles are NOT Infallible. There are NO Infallible Human Beings.
Apostles Equip the Church with the Foundation
Apostles Equip the Church with Doctrine and Revelation
Apostles Equip the Church with Government
Apostles Equip the Members of the Churches with Spiritual Gifts
Twenty Apostles are Named in the New Testament of the Bible
Apostles Had the Ministries of Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor, and Teacher
Who Sets an Apostle? How Do Apostles Become Apostles?
Apostles Are Set To Build the Church
How To Discern Apostles
Apostles Are Set As Servants
There Is No Such Thing As a Chief Apostle or Chief Elder
Apostles Are Set To Link the Church To Jesus and the Father
Apostles Are NOT Local Elders, Local Pastors, Local Pastor-Teachers, or Any Such Thing
Apostles Receive Their Living
Traveling Deacons versus Traveling Elders--Both Are Apostles
Answer to Critic
Appeal to Possibility
Argument to the Future
Love Between a Man and Woman
Righteousness & Holiness
Proof by Atheism
Scriptures About Marriage
The Reason for Rejecting Truth
Witness on the Internet
Flaky Human Reasoning
How Do You Know?
The Real Purpose of the Church
The Real Purpose of Life
From Glory to Glory
REAL Faith--What it IS & IS NOT
REAL Love--What it IS & IS NOT
How to be Led by God
How to Witness
Wisdom: Righteousness & Reality
Holiness & Mind/Soul
Redemption: Free From Sin
Stories Versus Revelation
Circular Reasoning-Who is Guilty?
How Can We Know Anything?
Mind Designed to Relate to God
Answers for the Confused
Fossil Record Says: "Creation"
Avoid These Pitfalls
Public School's Religion
Public School Failures
How can we know anything about anything?
That's the real question