- Acts 2:42-43 speaks of the apostles' doctrine, and the church is to abide continually in this doctrine.
- Matthew 16:17 speaks of the apostles receiving the revelation.
- Ephesians 1:17 tells us that to understand the apostles' doctrine, even when they are right there teaching it to us, we need the Holy Spirit of revelation.
- Ephesians 3:5 tells us that things hidden in ages past are now being revealed to the apostles and prophets.
- Romans 16:17 also refers to those who cause divisions. These were people bringing in doctrines that were not the apostles' doctrine. It might be noted that the word, heresy, means "dissensions arising from diversity of opinions and aims" in the original Greek.
- 1 John 1:3-5 carries this further is stating that the apostles declare to the churches those things that have been revealed to them.
- Galatians 2:11-15 shows us that the apostles are not infallible and that they correct each other. They are in submission to each other and each apostle is under the government of all the other apostles.
- Ephesians 4:14 One of the functions of the apostles is to make it so the believers are not blown around by winds of doctrine. The apostles are united in ministry and in doctrine. None of them teaches a variant doctrine, and they discipline themselves.
- Acts 16:4-5 tells how the apostles delivered the decrees. They traveled and delivered the revelation and established it in the local churches.
- Acts 15:1-31 shows how the apostles determined doctrine and how they made sure that everyone was teaching the same doctrine once it had been revealed. It also shows that a single apostle did not consider himself able to establish doctrine. Note how the spiritual gifts in apostles gave the final answer. Then, the doctrine was entrusted to faithful men and carried to the local elders who must be apt to teach--the must be able to cause the people to understand the doctrine.
- Ephesians 1:8-9 tells us how the apostles equip the church with revelation of the doctrine and the meaning of the Scripture.
- 1 Corinthians 2:6-3:2 shows the revelation being given to the apostles by supernatural means, but the local church at Corinth was unable to accept it because of their spiritual immaturity. No one was able to understand these parts of Scripture until they were revealed to the apostles.
- In Romans 2:16 and Romans 16:25, Paul speaks of his gospel, and we can be sure from other Scripture that Paul's gospel was the same as the gospel of all the other apostles.
- 1 Peter 1:16-21 informs us that the revelation of the meaning of Scripture is not given to one person. If it is revelation, it is given to all the apostles. Private interpretation is certainly not God's method by which revelation is given to a local elder or deacon or member of the church. They must have had theologians in this day just like they have them today.
- Isaiah 28:9-10 shows us that revelation is given a little at a time. Many times, God has tried to move through people over the centuries, and they went so and so far, then claimed to have it all. Often, what they had was truth mixed with speculation. They forced God to find someone else who was not so puffed up in their thinking.
- Galatians 1:11-12 tells us that the doctrine is not given by man but by the revelation of Jesus Christ. Only God can reveal the interpretation of Scripture.
- Sometimes, the apostles would give advice which was not revelation as in 1 Corinthians 7:10-11, and sometimes, the apostles would teach the revelation as in 1 Corinthians 7:10-11.
- The book of Revelation is an example of a something that God revealed to the apostle through a vision alone. Note that the revelation was given to an apostle.
- Galatians 1:15-18 and Galatians 2:1 tell us that Paul had to go and confirm that the revelation he had been given was correct.
- 1 Timothy 1:3-4 tells us that Paul assigned Timothy to work in Ephesus to guard against corrupt doctrine.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:6 give us an example of Paul teaching the people to withdraw themselves from anyone who teaches a doctrine other than the apostles' doctrine.
Last updated: Dec, 2011
The Church Universal
Apostles: Traveling Elders & Deacons
Equip With Doctrine & Revelation
Toons & Vids
What is the Scriptural Order of Apostles
Did God restore the 5-fold ministry? Are there apostles today?
How Can You Discern True Apostles From False Apostles
Apostles are NOT infallible. Apostles Make Mistakes Just Like Everyone Else.
Apostles Equip with Doctrine and Revelation:
Apostles Equip with Government
Apostles Equip With Gifts of the Spirit
What is the foundation of the church?
Apostles build the church
Apostles link the church to Jesus and the Father
Apostles Are Servants
Apostles Are Traveling Ministries
Traveling Deacons versus Traveling Elders--From This We See That Both Are Apostles
What is the 5-fold ministry and why is it important?
The 5-Fold Ministry Is a Misnomer
Why is the 5-fold ministry, as described in Scripture, so unpopular?
Who sets ministries in the Church and how does God say that is to be decided?
Apostles Receive Their Living From the Gospel
Many Apostles are Mentioned in Scripture
Can The Ministries And Offices Of The Church Be Counterfeited?
Aren't there false apostles and false prophets?
There Is No Chief Apostle Except Jesus
Was Peter the foundation of the church and the first pope?
Was There Such a Thing as The Apostolic Age?
Are Apostles Something from the Past or Has God Restored Apostles?
Questions and Answers: Please help me to connect the old testament ministers to the new testament fivefold offices clearly stating the similarities of these offices.
Could Anyone Ever Have/Be All Four Apostolic Ministries or Have All Nine Gifts of the Spirit?
Answer to Critic
Appeal to Possibility
Argument to the Future
Love Between a Man and Woman
Righteousness & Holiness
Proof by Atheism
Scriptures About Marriage
The Reason for Rejecting Truth
Witness on the Internet
Flaky Human Reasoning
How Do You Know?
The Real Purpose of the Church
The Real Purpose of Life
From Glory to Glory
REAL Faith--What it IS & IS NOT
REAL Love--What it IS & IS NOT
How to be Led by God
How to Witness
Wisdom: Righteousness & Reality
Holiness & Mind/Soul
Redemption: Free From Sin
Stories Versus Revelation
Circular Reasoning-Who is Guilty?
How Can We Know Anything?
Mind Designed to Relate to God
Answers for the Confused
Fossil Record Says: "Creation"
Avoid These Pitfalls
Public School's Religion
Public School Failures
How can we know anything about anything?
That's the real question